most people have a deep fear of snakes, spiders, small spaces, and heights. I have a fear of winter driving. my first experience driving in snow ended abruptly with a patch of ‘black ice’ and a metal stop sign.
not to mention it was my dad’s car and he was on a tropical island vacation with my mom, not to be reached by telephone. the car was totaled, and so was I.
I was taught to take it slow. to pump the breaks when trying to stop on ice. to put the car in a lower gear when going down steep hills. but I’ve never quite mastered how to breathe & relax when snow is falling and I’m behind the wheel. or in the passenger seat.
[*editor’s note: I am now a good driver in winter conditions. but am scared shitless of other people sliding into me. true life].
15 things I’d rather do than drive
or ride through a winter storm.
- go on a 90 day coffee fast.
- watch miley cyrus’ VMA performance on repeat, 32 times.
- get my wisdom teeth removed. again.
- shake hands with kanye west and tell him he’s a good person.
- go sledding naked.
- eat only broccoli for a month.
- get a full-body wax.
- drink prune juice.
- run a marathon.
- work out in heels & full glam.
- replace walking with hopping everywhere I go.
- clean the laundry & dishes for the entire neighborhood.
- ban myself from all social media.
- only watch the TV guide channel.
- stay home.
in the words of my friend megan of the thread affect: if only we were allowed to drink alcohol in the passenger seat ..we could pretend we’re on a holiday sleigh ride through a winter wonderland.
but since we can’t, I’ll continue to have minor panic attacks.
or stay home.