in iowa, there is a love-hate relationship with summer (or maybe that’s just me). we survive the cold, snowy winter and are so ready for the hot summer days. then it arrives, and the “hot summer days” we looked forward to are incredibly humid, with temperatures reaching dangerously close to 100°F (although the “real feel” is usually over that). it’s hard to drag yourself outside, because it’ll surely be an “insta-sweat” situation. regardless, it’s what we have and what we look forward to all winter long. so it’s important to make the most of it.
the husband + I have a jam-packed summer. I have little (to no) choice, but to brave the heat, with a lot of sunscreen applied. of course. in addition to the sunscreen, there are six items I live on throughout the summer.
6 summer must-haves.
• a good book | this should travel with you. you never know when the weather will decide to be perfect and you spend your lunch break soaking in the sun + a book. obviously, if you’re beach or poolside, that goes without saying too. I read all kinds of books, but when it comes to summertime reads .. I want fun, entertaining, light + good. I expect a lot from a book that will be my sole entertainment while I’m outside trying not to think about how hot it is. I just read eighty-sixed. I recommend. highly. also, I got to interview the author, emily belden. you can read it here.
• a planner/life organizer/calendar | it’s not unusual for every single summer weekend to have an obligation. not to mention, the activities + events that take place during the week. it makes my head hurt trying to remember what is happening each day. especially when we’re all making plans for summertime in january. so I did myself a LARGE favor + purchased a day designer. I wrote + continue to write everything in it. now I know for an actual fact, every single summer weekend has something ..
• make-up remover wipes | I can think of, at least, 18 situations where I am thankful I carry these facial wipes with me. most recently, camping + the sand volleyball tournament I
kind of competed in. they’re just a good idea. (I received this product complimentary for testing purposes via influenster, but the opinions are all my own).
• a water bottle that could careless about temperatures | an insulated water bottle is key. especially when the temperatures are near the 100°F mark, you’re outside + are desperate for a drink of water, only to find it boiling hot. we’ve all been there. it’s the worst.
• a fiery, fun nail polish | this summer I’ll be wearing my paprika is hotter than yours. right now + on repeat.
• coconut oil | I religiously use coconut oil as a skin moisturizer throughout the summer. apply at night + let it do it’s thing while you’re sleeping. you’ll wake up with replenished skin. (is that the right word?). I’m also prone to sunburns, no matter how much + often I apply sunscreen. I use this any time I get a tad too much sun. especially on my face.
what tops your summer must-have list?