it should go without saying, the dominican republic holds a very special place in my heart. (it’s where the husband + I were married).
during our first trip, we were “too busy” to go off resort + enjoy any excursions. (a lot of wedding meetings + celebrations). although we did very much enjoy the resort + spending our week there. this time around, we wanted to explore! the outing we decided to go on is called the outback adventures safari. it takes you through the dominican countryside, and really shows you the beauty of the country. we wanted to get the full experience, and that we did.
8 reasons to visit the dominican.
• alcoholic drinks on the tours | our safari truck had two coolers full of rum + beer, and all the mixings. fancy a cocktail with your tour? I think yes! we were on vacation after all.
• the views | the dominican is gorgeous. the beaches are incredible, the mountains are tall, the palm trees are plentiful.
• coffee | I drink coffee every single day, so I was amazed to learn the process of how it came to be the liquid in my cup. they showed us the red berries that contain the coffee beans. how to peel them, roast them + finally grind them. I was in awe. and half thought, the husband + I should invest in a coffee business our own. only for a second. instead, we purchased a bag of coffee made right there in front of us (roasted with cinnamon sticks).
• cacao | after seeing where cacao beans come from, I was contemplating never eating chocolate again. but then I realized that was silly. our guide cracked open this large fruit-looking thing, only to show us inside were many cacao beans. instead of seeing the beans you’d expect, we saw white (really) slimy pods. apparently they’re hidden in the slime. nonetheless, it was neat to see where chocolate comes from.
• fresh made cigars | I drink coffee + eat chocolate, but I don’t smoke. but along those same lines, it’s so interesting to see how things are created into their final product. we stood in silence as we watched a man roll a cigar, in record speed. he said his grandma was the one who taught him a long time ago.
• mamajuana | if you’ve been to the dominican before, you’re familiar. if not, allow me to explain. this is an alcoholic concoction made with rum, wine, occasionally honey inside a bottle with tree bark + herbs. sound scrumptious? probably not. you take it in shots. and let me tell you, if they know you’re celebrating a honeymoon or anniversary ..they’ll keep ’em coming. (it is said to be an aphrodisiac). just take my word, have something in hand to wash it down!
• coconuts | we got to visit a coconut farm, where we learned a lot. including how to make coconut milk + other products. but most importantly, he cracked open one + let all of us have a few fresh pieces. (I don’t mess with coconuts at home. I can imagine losing a limb trying to open one ..)
• the ocean | the water is the prettiest color of blue + so clear. it’s also a perfect background noise to lull you to sleep.